Previously on Adam Riff™: There was an idea… To bring together a group of disparate people… To see if we could create something more…than a year-end list.
10 people select 10 things they loved from 2017 without any overlap.
12 people select 10 things they loved from 2018 without any overlap, creating a "best of 2018" list unlike any other.
Adam: Missing those mid states.
Jon: I tried…
In randomly-generated snake draft order:
Wong / Ice Climbers / Moana
2. JON B
Rocket Raccoon / Donkey Kong / Jasmine
3. JON T
Hawkeye / Pikachu / Belle
Spider-Man / Dr. Mario / Jasmine
5. JON Y [ME]
Doctor Strange / Ness / Pocahontas
Mantis / Jigglypuff / Ariel
Star-Lord / Link / Anna
Daredevil / Snake / Jasmine
Spider-Man / Falco / Snow White
Captain America / Toon Link / Rapunzel
Valkyrie / Samus / Ariel
Ant-Man / Diddy Kong / Snow White
With the first pick in the 2018 Draft, Stan selected…
R1 • STAN
1. BLACK PANTHER
R1 • JON B
3. The bathroom fight in MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT
R1 • DREW
R1 • JON Y
5. ATLANTA: Robbin' Season
R1 • LOGAN
6. Robyn's album HONEY
R1 • BEN
7. SORRY TO BOTHER YOU
R1 • JEFF
8. The first hour of A STAR IS BORN
Adam: Picking 9 fucking SUUUUUCCKKSS.
Adam: My whole thing is fucked. I can't imagine getting anything on my list that isn't just bottom of the barrel stuff.
Adam: Okay, my pick is in.
R1 • ADAM
R1 • NIC
10. Ty Segall's cover of War's "LOW RIDER"
Ben: That Ty Segall cover is like taking Darko.
Ben: He could have taken that in the last round!
R1 • MOLLY
11. KILLING EVE
R1 • RUSSELL
12. BARRY » "My lord, the Queen is dead."
R2 • RUSSELL
13. THE DEATH OF STALIN
R2 • MOLLY
14. The final conversation between Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant in CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?
R2 • NIC
15. THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE: Two Storms
R2 • ADAM
16. DETROITERS » Pooping car
R2 • JEFF
17. The back half of SUCCESSION season one
R2 • BEN
18. CARDI B, especially the chorus of and her verse on "I LIKE IT"
R2 • LOGAN
19. YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE
R2 • JON Y
20. TAY KEITH fucking us up
R2 • DREW
21. Pusha T's album DAYTONA
R2 • JON T
22. AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR
R2 • JON B
R2 • STAN
24. Mitski's album BE THE COWBOY
R3 • STAN
25. THE AMERICANS
R3 • JON B
26. BETTER CALL SAUL » Slippin' Jimmy's burner business
R3 • JON T
27. BOYGENIUS' self-titled EP
Jeff: Can't believe I got beat to boygenius. Had them pegged for round four.
R3 • DREW
28. CRAZY RICH ASIANS
Jon Y: Three macro picks out of three for you.
R3 • JON Y
29. Keire stomping his skateboard in two at the end of MINDING THE GAP as "This Year" by The Mountain Goats plays
Adam: God damn it. I hate this draft.
Adam: Of course you picked Minding the Gap.
Jon Y: Well, you could have picked it at 16 instead of a pooping car.
Adam: In which case Jon B would have picked Detroiters at 23.
Adam: There's no way I could have outshot him.
Adam: I already regret Gritty.
R3 • LOGAN
30. The proliferation of URBAN SCOOTERS
R3 • BEN
31. THE GOOD PLACE
R3 • JEFF
32. Kacey Musgraves' album GOLDEN HOUR
R3 • ADAM
33. HOMECOMING » The shot where Heidi finally regains her memories
R3 • NIC
34. MGMT's video for "ME AND MICHAEL"
R3 • MOLLY
35. JANELLE MONÁE's vagina pants
R3 • RUSSELL
36. KYLIAN MBAPPÉ
R4 • RUSSELL
37. EPIC HANDSHAKE
R4 • MOLLY
38. RUPAUL'S DRAG RACE » "Miss Vanjie, Miss Vanjie, Miss Vaaaaanjie."
R4 • NIC
39. ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ
Ben: AOC went a lot earlier than I expected.
R4 • ADAM
40. DAYWORLD: Pilot
R4 • JEFF
41. DEAD CELLS
R4 • BEN
42. CHAPO TRAP HOUSE: Hot Couch Nation feat. Stavros Halkias and Matt V. Brady
R4 • LOGAN
43. Natalie Portman's fight-dance with her mirror image in ANNIHILATION
R4 • JON Y
44. STYLESX2's reaction videos to SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE Nintendo Direct content
R4 • DREW
45. ARIANA GRANDE's burgeoning societal influence
R4 • JON T
46. IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA » Mac's dance routine
R4 • JON B
Adam Jon B picks Revenge. Of course. That was my next pick.
R4 • STAN
R5 • STAN
R5 • JON B
50. BIG MOUTH » Coach Steve doing push-ups on Jay's mom
R5 • JON T
51. MY BRILLIANT FRIEND
R5 • DREW
52. BRYAN COLANGELO burner accounts
53. JOE PERA TALKS WITH YOU: Joe Pera Reads You the Church Announcements
R5 • LOGAN
54. THE 1975's album A BRIEF INQUIRY INTO ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS, especially "LOVE IT IF WE MADE IT"
R5 • BEN
55. The Ringer's NBA DESKTOP
Stan: NBA Desktop at 55 is a steal.
Stan: And a true regret that it didn't even cross my mind.
R5 • JEFF
56. TURNSTILE (band) live
R5 • ADAM
R5 • NIC
58. The final play of the December 9 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS vs. MIAMI DOLPHINS game
Ben: Nic's pick is silly.
Ben: Won't age well.
Ben: Congrats on winning a regular season game.
Jon Y: Haha. You're too old for Nic's shit.
R5 • MOLLY
59. When Kayla confronts her popular girl "nemesis" at the end of EIGHTH GRADE (special shout-out to the look of triumph on Elsie Fisher’s face afterward)
Adam: Ah fuck. I should have picked Eighth Grade before Corporate. God damn it.
R5 • RUSSELL
60. FIGHTING IN THE AGE OF LONELINESS
Ben: Fuuuuuck Russell took my pick.
R6 • RUSSELL
61. THE BEST SHOW WITH TOM SCHARPLING: Night of a Thousand Pardos!
R6 • MOLLY
62. Billy Porter as Pray Tell on POSE
63. Thom Yorke's album SUSPIRIA (MUSIC FOR THE LUCA GUADAGNINO FILM)
R6 • ADAM
64. SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE's animation style
R6 • JEFF
65. MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN
R6 • BEN
66. CHRIS SALE coming in to pitch in relief and striking out MANNY MACHADO to win the World Series for the Boston Red Sox
R6 • LOGAN
67. KIM KARDASHIAN securing a pardon and being the world's best hope for justice reform
R6 • JON Y
68. Panic! at the Disco's song "HIGH HOPES"
Adam: Panic! at the Disco, huh?
Ben: "High Hopes," eh?
Jon Y: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
R6 • DREW
69. A QUIET PLACE
Jon Y: You outchea with the safest draft.
Drew: Best draft.
Drew: I'm not gonna spend a pick on, like, the first eight minutes of the third episode of Chapo Trap House.
R6 • JON T
70. J.R. SMITH'S blunder at the end of game one of the NBA Finals
R6 • JON B
71. NEVER GOIN' BACK
R6 • STAN
72. The third installment of DEMI ADEJUYIGBE'S Sept. 21 performances
R7 • STAN
73. QUEER EYE
R7 • JON B
74. THE STRANGERS: PREY AT NIGHT
R7 • JON T
75. New York City's MANDARIN DUCK, also known as HOT DUCK
R7 • DREW
76. IS THIS A PIGEON?
Drew: Sorry for the delay. I had a number of things I realized were from 2017.
Drew: I wanted to do Fiona the hippo.
77. WHO IS AMERICA? » Quinceañera
R7 • LOGAN
78. THE GRINCH's marketing blitzkrieg
R7 • BEN
79. MARVEL'S DAREDEVIL » 11-minute, single-take prison break
R7 • JEFF
80. SAQUON BARKLEY
R7 • ADAM
81. C O O L A S S D A N K A S S S H I T
R7 • NIC
82. ISLE OF DOGS
R7 • MOLLY
83. Lecy Goranson as Becky on THE CONNERS
R7 • RUSSELL
84. THE GREAT BELIEVERS by Rebecca Makkai
R8 • RUSSELL
85. BEYONCÉ at Coachella
R8 • MOLLY
86. ARETHA FRANKLIN teaching white people what a homegoing is
R8 • NIC
87. Earl Sweatshirt's album SOME RAP SONGS
R8 • ADAM
88. POD MINUTES TO CAST NIGHT
R8 • JEFF
89. Chris Jericho's appearance at ALL IN
Jon Y: Goddammit! Jericho's make-up was my next pick.
R8 • BEN
90. SHARP OBJECTS » Mid-end credits montage
Logan: The 'ha ah ahh ah' part of "Shallow," especially as sung by Jigglypuff.
Jon Y: Sorry, A Star Is Born is off the board.
Logan: Hmph okay.
Logan: "There could be 100 people in a room, and 99 don't believe in you. But all it takes is one."
Jon Y: That's still A Star Is Born-related.
R8 • LOGAN
91. MINNESOTA SKYSCRAPER RACCOON
R8 • JON Y
92. The Chinese, high stakes rock-paper-scissors fantasy ANIMAL WORLD, featuring Michael Douglas
R8 • DREW
93. OLIVIA THE DOG
R8 • JON T
94. AMERICAN CHOPPER Argument
R8 • Jon B
95. CHANNEL ZERO: The Dream Door » Pretzel Jack
R8 • STAN
96. RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2
R9 • STAN
97. CUNK ON BRITAIN
R9 • JON B
98. THREATIN's European tour
R9 • JON T
99. WESTWORLD: Kiksuya
R9 • DREW
100. Jessica Pressler's story on "SOHO GRIFTER" Anna Delvey
R9 • JON Y
101. Na-Kel Smith's performance in MID90s
R9 • LOGAN
102. SUPER DELUXE (rest in peace)
R9 • BEN
Jeff: Drew picked the dog in Game Night previously. Am I good picking it generally?
Jon Y: Alas, no.
Jeff: Ah okay.
R9 • JEFF
104. Dashboard Confessional's album CROOKED SHADOWS
R9 • ADAM
105. Young Fathers' video for "HOLY GHOST"
R9 • NIC
106. Habits' video for "LIMP"
R9 • MOLLY
107. Mark Ronson's song "NOTHING BREAKS LIKE A HEART (feat. Miley Cyrus)"
108. MOSTLY 4 MILLENNIALS
FINAL ROUND BLIND BONUS PICK
Along with your final pick, please select something from 2018 that you have yet to experience as of 18 December 2018 but are keen on.
R10 • RUSSELL
109. Spencer Hall eulogizes ANTHONY BOURDAIN's love of Waffle House
Ben Great pick by Russell. I forgot how much I loved that.
R10 • MOLLY
110. I'LL BE GONE IN THE DARK by Michelle McNamara
+ THE FAVOURITE
Nic: Blind pick: You Were Never Really Here.
Jon Y: Sorry, Logan already picked it.
Nic: Okay, how about Incredibles 2?
Jon Y: You haven't seen Incredibles 2?!
R10 • NIC
111. FAHRENHEIT 11/9
+ INCREDIBLES 2
R10 • ADAM
112. ELON MUSK shitting the bed all year long
R10 • JEFF
113. THE BACHELOR » Arie dumping Becca
+ ASTRO BOT RESCUE MISSION
R10 • BEN
114. Mary Halsey's perfect cover of Missy Elliott's "WORK IT," and it not being a Milkshake Duck situation
+ BLACK MIRROR: Bandersnatch
R10 • LOGAN
115. THEY DID SURGERY ON A GRAPE
+ UNDER THE SILVER LAKE
R10 • JON
116. A WAY OUT's twist ending
+ DONUT COUNTY
R10 • DREW
+ LAMAR JACKSON's playoff debut
R10 • JON T
118. FIRE AND BLOOD: VOLUME ONE by George R. R. Martin
+ GOD OF WAR
Jon Y: God of War's slide… Oof.
R10 • JON B
119. TRIAL AND ERROR » "Lady driver! Lady driver! Lady driver coming through!"
+ BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE
Jon Y: I'm not saying Mr. Irrelevant should be Fortnite, but…
R10 • STAN
120. NARCOS: Mexico » Every face that Joaquín Cosio makes
Jon Y: Boooo!
Considering my struggle to diversify the league this year – girls ghosting me left and right – I am pleased with how this draft turned out.
Dragon Ball FighterZ
"This Is America"
16 UMBC Upsets 1 Virginia
Walmart Yodel Boy